Shoulder Pain FAQs with our Bradenton Chiropractor
Our Bradenton chiropractor sees hundreds of patients every year at Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic struggling with shoulder pain. Understandably, we get a lot of questions!
What are common causes of shoulder pain?
- Shoulder dislocation: partial or complete misalignment of the humeral head inside the shoulder socket
- SLAP tear: a tear in the labrum within the shoulder joint
- Bursitis and tendonitis: inflammation of bursae (fluid-filled, friction-reducing sacs) and tendons
- Frozen shoulder: stiffening of the joint
- Muscle strains and ligament sprains: tears in the rotator cuff connective tissues
- Osteoarthritis: inflammation of the joint with wearing down of the inner joint cartilage, leading to bone rubbing on bone
Sometimes, shoulder pain is referred from other areas of the body, such as the cervical spine.
What are the symptoms most associated with shoulder pain?
People with shoulder pain often can't move their arm through its full range of motion, or have a "painful arc" causing pain in only certain directions. They may not be able to lie on their shoulder, and they may have trouble with tasks like dressing, reaching over head, and even typing or lifting.
Pain in the shoulder can be diffuse or focal, sharp or dull. It may be associated with numbness and tingling in the arm and hand.
Why do I have shoulder pain?
Risk factors include repetitive movement and overuse (especially overhead), poor posture and ergonomics, an illness or infection affecting the shoulder, and accidents.
How can a chiropractor provide shoulder pain relief?
- Adjustments: realign spinal and shoulder joints to restore function and reduce pain naturally
- Corrective exercises: heal and strengthen rotator cuff muscles and stabilize the shoulder joint
- Massage therapy: promote local circulation to accelerate healing
- Lifestyle counseling, nutritional counseling, and postural screens: identify and eliminate contributing factors to pain, inflammation, instability, and dysfunction in the shoulder
Is Your Shoulder Painful? Connect with our Team at Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic for Natural Care
Our Bradenton chiropractor, Dr. John Nichols, customizes drug-free and non-invasive treatment for painful shoulders! Contact Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic now at 941-739-2900 to schedule an appointment.