Back Pain from Car Accidents
Car accidents in the surrounding areas of Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota, and Fruitville can cause a variety of problems for passengers and drivers. In particular, many people involved in car accidents later experience upper back and lower back pain. Knowing what causes the back pain and what you can do to seek treatment for your pain can help you make a full recovery.
How a Car Accident Causes Back Pain
Car accidents can cause back pain by damaging the spinal vertebrae and the discs between the vertebrae. Often, this damage occurs when the body is jerked suddenly forward or backward in the seat, causing compression of the spine that damages the discs. At the same time, this same traumatic event can cause small tears in the muscles and ligaments of the neck and back. All of this causes back pain.
When the muscles, joints, and ligaments in the back and neck are injured, this causes inflammation and stiffness of the tissues, making mobility difficult. This may also cause subluxations, a condition that occurs when the spinal cord becomes cramped between the vertebrae of the spine. Subluxations can inhibit the functionality of the central nervous system and impair the brain's ability to heal itself, leading to ongoing pain. Without treatment, this condition can last for a long time.
Treatments at Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic for Auto Accident Related Back Pain
At Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic, our chiropractor uses a variety of techniques to help our patients of the surrounding communities of Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota, and Fruitville suffering from car accident-related back pain. Below are some of the most common methods we use to help our patients:
- Chiropractic Adjustment. Chiropractic adjustment is a technique that chiropractors use to restore balance to the vertebrae of the spine and reduce pressure on the joints and muscles in the back. In addition, chiropractic adjustment helps relieve patient pain and improves functionality of the central nervous system.
- Spinal Decompression. This technique creates negative pressure around bulging and herniated discs in the spine. Spinal decompression is a natural, non-invasive way to put the discs of the spine back in their rightful position.
- Massage Therapy. Massage therapy is a treatment that chiropractors use to increase blood flow to damaged areas of the body and speed the healing process. Massage therapy also helps reduce patient pain by relieving muscle tension.
- Physical Therapy. Chiropractors teach patients how to perform therapeutic stretches and exercises that can improve range of motion, reduce back pain and speed the recovery process after an accident occurs.
- X-Rays. Chiropractors use X-rays to diagnose injuries and help patients take the first steps in making a full recovery.
- Pain Management. Chiropractic pain management techniques help patients improve their quality of life after an accident or injury. Chiropractors use all natural, holistic pain management techniques to help patients reduce their pain in normal, everyday life.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Bradenton Chiropractor Today
If you were recently involved in a car accident and are experiencing back pain as a result, Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic can help. We proudly serve the areas of Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota, and Fruitville. Our chiropractor Dr. John Nichols can help soothe aching muscles, improve your body's overall functioning and help you recover from your car accident injuries. To find out more or make an appointment to see Dr. Nichols, contact us today at (941) 739-2900.