Treatment for Shoulder Pain from Car Accidents With Our Bradenton & Lakewood Ranch Chiropractor
Some people we meet at Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic--who come from the communities of Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, Sarasota, and Fruitville--often are seeking help after an auto accident. But it's not just for neck and low back pain. Car accidents can also lead to shoulder injury, which can benefit from treatment by a doctor of chiropractic.
Mechanism of Injury at the Shoulder During A Car Accident
When healthy, your shoulder has the greatest range of motion of any joint within your body. Many important tissues, including bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons, blood vessels, and nerves comprise the shoulder girdle. Any one of these tissues can become damaged or injured during a car accident.
For instance, as a driver or passenger in a side-impact or rear-end collision, your body is exposed to a high level of force, which can stretch the muscles of your shoulder. This may cause a muscle strain of the biceps or rotator cuff. Damage to these muscles may disrupt the normal resting position of your shoulder joint. This is called a joint subluxation. A shoulder joint subluxation can cause further issues by creating impingement on nearby nerves, tendons, and ligaments.
Even the way your seatbelt rests on your body can raise the susceptibility of your shoulder to become injured or dislocated, since your body is restrained by the belt however your arms remain free to move--and be moved by high acceleration-deceleration forces.
It's also important to remember that several major nerves and blood vessels pass through and around the shoulder joint on their way to supply the arm, hand, and wrist. A joint subluxation, muscle strain, or other injury at the shoulder can also lead to pain, immobility, numbness, tingling, and other symptoms throughout the arm. What's more, muscle spasms and inflammation in the shoulder can also raise tension and lead to symptoms "upstream," including headaches and pain and stiffness in the neck.
How Chiropractic Care can Heal a Shoulder Injury Following an Auto Accident in the Surrounding Areas of Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota, and Fruitville
A doctor of chiropractic is an excellent resource for healing following an auto accident-related shoulder injury. Our Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton chiropractor, Dr. John Nichols, relies on advanced clinical skills and innovative chiropractic technology to help his patients with shoulder pain. Specific approaches may include:
- Chiropractic Care: a chiropractic adjustment helps your spinal column restore its normal mobility and alignment. Proper spinal alignment is important for the normal mobility and function of your shoulder blades, which can help resolve a shoulder joint subluxation.
- Spinal Decompression: using his hands or a specialized device, Dr. Nichols can gently decompress your spine, which improves alignment and relieves pressure on the nervous system. This can act as central nervous system "reset," reducing the intensity of pain signals being sent from your shoulder area to your brain.
- Massage Therapy: massage and soft tissue mobilization can stimulate blood flow and lymphatic drainage (not to mention--it's a great stress-reliever!). At an injured shoulder girdle, this results in decreased swelling, pain, and inflammation.
- Physical Therapy: this includes therapeutic exercises and shoulder joint mobilizations, which promote tissue healing and restore the strength and flexibility of your shoulder muscles.
- Pain Management: some of our non-invasive strategies to reduce shoulder pain symptoms include cold laser therapy, electrical stimulation, and cryotherapy.
These services are safe, effective, drug-free, and completely non-invasive, which can maximize outcomes and improve the healing experience.
Are You Struggling With Shoulder Pain After An Auto Accident? Visit Our Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton Chiropractor Today
The team at Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic is your premier source for car accident injury treatment in Lakewood, Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota, Fruitville, and nearby areas. Led by Lakewood Ranch chiropractor, Dr. John Nichols, our staff works together to help every patient recover from injury and re-establish a healthy, active, and fulfilling lifestyle that true well-being thrives on. If you've been in a car accident and are now struggling with shoulder pain, call Lakewood Ranch Chiropractic today at (941) 739-2900 to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our wellness services.